Earn Dental CE online with this article:
Laser Mucocele Removal in Pediatric Patients
By Robert Levine, DDS; and Peter Vitruk, PhD, MInstP, CPhys
dentaltown.com – Sept 2016
The definition, etiology, clinical manifestations, prevalence and differential diagnosis of two types of mucocele are covered. Both surgical and non-surgical treatment modalities are outlined. A case study illustrates the CO2 laser excision of a mucocele in a pediatric patient, emphasizing highly efficient soft-tissue vaporization, hemostasis and healing with minimized damage to surrounding tissues, reduced edema, and risk of complications.
- Learn the definition, etiology, clinical manifestations, prevalence and differential diagnosis of two types of mucocele.
- Learn various treatment modalities for mucocele removal, both surgical and nonsurgical.
- Learn through a case study the specifics of pre- and postoperative care for CO2 laser treatment of the mucocele in a pediatric patient.
- Learn the laser-tissue interaction differences as far as wavelength impact on absorption, cutting efficiency, coagulation and hemostasis depth.
- Learn about the post-CO2 laser surgery scar-free healing by second intention with minimized production of myofibroblasts, minimized damage to surrounding tissues, reduced postoperative swelling and edema, and lowered risk of complications.