November 13 - November 14 in Spokane, WA
Pediatric Tongue- and Lip-Ties and Laser Frenectomies
Enhance your understanding of the issues of pediatric laser dentistry, including tongue-ties and lip- ties! As many as 5 percent of all babies born in the US have tongue-ties significant enough to cause breastfeeding difficulties. Affected babies often fail to thrive and can be erroneously labeled as “lazy nursers” or “stubborn feeders”.
A good surgical laser for cutting soft tissue must be able to vaporize soft tissue, while at the same time efficiently coagulating surgical margins. Not all laser wavelengths are suitable to comply with both requirements. This course focuses on the practical aspects of soft tissue laser surgery and on the fundamental processes involved in the laser-tissue interaction; it helps attendees learn how deep the laser beam cuts and how deep the coagulation and hemostasis extend into the surgical margins. Our hands-on participation lab is designed to train attendees on what surgical lasers can do safely and efficiently.
- Martin Kaplan, DMD
- Molly Gunsaulis, DDS
- Melissa Mugno, OMT
- Peter Vitruk, PhD, MInstP, CPhys
Doctors: $795; Non-Doctors: $495; ALSC members: $50 off; and LightScalpel users: $50 off. Register now.
- Background and significance of TOTS;
- Diagnosis of pediatric tongue- and lip-ties;
- Multi-disciplinary approach to treating pediatric tongue and lip ties;
- Lactation support for the breastfeeding tongue-tied dyad;
- Bodywork and alternative therapy for the tongue-tied baby;
- Setting expectations with families and patients;
- Current methods of clinical assessment, diagnosis and treatment of pediatric lingual and labial ties.
Attendees will :
- Understand infant sucking physiology and how tongue ties impair infant suck;
- Be able to utilize reliable diagnostic criteria to screen babies and children for this condition;
- Understand orthodontic-myofunctional connection;
- Understand how the soft tissues of the orofacial complex may lead to malocclusion, TMD, headaches, and other problems; and
- Understand all consequences and benefits of using lasers to remove oral restrictions.
Laser Surgery and Safety Basic Knowledge Certification Curriculum for this Course has been developed by the American Laser Study Club (ALSC). The ALSC’s curriculum overcomes the known limitations of many laser dentistry courses, and includes the detailed physics of soft tissue ablation and coagulation with laser and hot tip (non-laser) devices. Laser hands-on wetlab on tissue samples will include laser safety instructions, frenectomy simulations and other surgical laser procedure demonstrations. Laser instructions will be assisted by the guest speaker Peter Vitruk, PhD, MInstP, CPhys, a laser physicist who founded the American Laser Study Club and LightScalpel LLC.
Hands-On Participation Session
- Laser Safety
- Laser Surgical Technique Simulations
- Superficial Ablation
- Superficial Coagulation
- Shallow Incisions
- Deep Incisions
- Practicing Surgical Techniques on a Pig jaw
Discounted Hotel Room Rates
Below is the reservation link you can use to make online reservations with a 15% discount set up for your group:
Book your special rate for Davenport Hotels